Improving Project Outcomes is an ongoing, open discussion among construction industry stakeholders in Pennsylvania. Established in 2017, these collaboration colloquies are held three to four times a year and have been hosted by leading construction organizations in our Commonwealth.
In 2020, CMAA Central PA, COAA PA, CSI Central PA, DBIA Alleghenies and KCA set out to find the best pieces of advice for industry stakeholders. With the construction industry well represented by all stakeholders, we held three different events: 1. Advice to Owners from Builders & Designers; 2. Advice to Designers from Owners & Builders; and, 3. Advice to Builders from Owners & Designers. Below are the three lists that our five organizations believe can help Improve Project Outcomes:
To watch the unveiling of these lists at an Improving Project Outcome session visit: IPO 2021 Kickoff featuring Advice to Stakeholders.
Advice for Owners!
1. Involve more End-Users/Maintenance personnel in the design process (early)!
2. HOLD Team Members Accountable!
3. Expect Lean Techniques/Principles, continuous improvement process
4. Stand behind QA/QC schedule
5. Review Qualifications before price!
6. Increase FEES!
7. Improve communication flow Architects/Vendors
8. More clearly define Stakeholders
9. Security/Safety, same as everything else!
10. More Time Upfront and better Early Stage Decision Making, alternatives/innovation
11. Project Delivery decision, earlier
12. Support the Use of Technology
13. Continuity of Expectations
14. Design for Future Flexibility
Advice for Designers!
1. More transparency into the design process – more collaboration and better collaboration early!
2. Improve leadership during preconstruction and construction!
3. FUN, more FUN!
4. More construction visits and better strategy for CA.
5. Make sure young designers get field experience!
6. Design to Budget, process in place.
7. Must consider tolerances in Design!
8. More exploration for Renovation work!
9. Adhere to agreed upon Design Schedule.
10.Get to know each other, Team Building!
11. Decision-Making! Include life-cycle cost analysis!
12. Understand the complete budget!
13. Open to and Understand DA.
14.Continuous estimating and Lean principles, get smart.
Advice for Builders!
1. Open Lines of Communication – more collaboration and better collaboration early!
2. Bring Solutions to the table, not RFI’s!
3. More FUN! Team Building! Trades too.
4. Realistic/Achievable Schedules, do not over promise!
5. Understand Scope and Goals for project, ensure quality time during preconstruction when invited!
6. Utilize Value-Adding Technology, develop plan for project and get the model to the field.
7. Involve Entire Team in Pursuit Presentations, want to hear from key Superintendents/Project Managers/Foreman!
8. Remove the Waste, explore prefabrication, bring it!
9. Push for Design Assist, we need to stop complaining about the design!
10. Continuous Estimating, figure it out, please!
NOTE: Safety is extremely important to all organizations, companies and professionals associated with Improving Project Outcomes. Each session starts with a Safety Minute and we have held Safety sessions too. It was discussed that Safety is an area that Owners, Designers and Builders embrace, and all the stakeholders care about the health and welfare of everyone associated with their projects. While Safety is not a Top 10 list, we felt it was important to include this item on our publication because we all celebrate Safety!
To request information on Improving Project Outcomes or to be alerted of upcoming sessions, please contact Jon O’Brien – 717-884-2801 or Jon@KeystoneContractors.com.